Earmuffs are a top choice for Hearing Protection as the offer a great combination of noise reduction, convenience and comfort. At Boost Safety & Workwear, we carry and extensive range of Earmuffs including passive, electronic, Bluetooth, high decibel reduction and low profile Earmuffs.
Showing all 13 results
Earmuffs, the Perfect Combination of Comfort, Convenience & Safety
People working in many industries, including construction, industrial, mining, manufacturing and agriculture are regularly exposed to loud noises on the job.
Unfortunately, many people disregard noise and the importance of its impact on hearing. Regular exposure to noise at a level of 85 decibels and above can lead to hearing loss. According to Safe Work Australia, about 28 to 32% of Australians work in environments where they are exposed to loud noises at work. Noise-induced hearing loss or hearing damage arising from work-related environments is a common irreversible condition that affects many workers.
The good news is hearing loss caused by loud noises at work is preventable with the correct use of protective Earmuffs. Adjusting or reducing exposure to noise by wearing the right type Earmuffs can help minimise hazardous noise and prevent hearing damage.
Safety Standards Certified
All Earmuffs supplied by Boost Safety & Workwear meet or exceed Safety Standards including Australian, European, US, Canadian and international standards. Please refer to the specifications table and the product data sheet (both on the product page) which outline the standards that the product complies with and has been certified under.
How Earmuffs Protect the Ears
Earmuffs comprise of a plastic or metal headband designed to fit over the top or back of the head with a cushion or cup at each end, covering the external ears. The cups of protective Earmuffs are lined with sound-deadening material such as acoustic foam. This material increases air resistance, thus absorbing and reducing the amplitude of sound waves.
Classes of Earmuffs & Earmuff Ratings
The Australian Standard AS/NZS 1270:2002 sets Hearing Protection and testing standards. It provides five classes for Hearing Protection, from Classes 1 to 5. Class 1 protection indicates the minimum or lowest level of protection, whilst Class 5 provides the highest level of Hearing Protection.
This noise protection class system is based on the Sound Level Conversion (SLC80) rating. This rating represents the difference between the environment sound level where the Earmuffs are worn and the sound level that actually reaches the wearer’s ears. This value is then converted to a recommended noise range. The classes provide employers and workers an easy and convenient way to choose the right safety Earmuffs appropriate for their sound level exposure.
The highest decibel reduction Earmuffs belong to the Class 5 category.
Types of Earmuffs
Earmuffs come in a variety of different types with varying features. The following are the main types of Earmuffs used in Australia and around the World:
- Passive Earmuffs: This is the traditional non-electronic Earmuff used widely across many industries.
- Electronic Earmuffs (Active Earmuffs): These Earmuffs work exactly the same as Passive Earmuffs with ear cups containing sound-absorbing foam however where they differ from Passive Earmuffs is they have microphones on the outside of the muffs, which pick up sounds, amplify them and deliver them to a wearers ears with a speaker, like in headphones. This assists to block out dangerous noise and pass through sounds like somebody talking.
- Noise Cancelling Earmuffs: These are regular Earmuffs, however some people just refer to the sound reduction properties as noise cancelling.
- Bluetooth Earmuffs & AM FM Radio Earmuffs: Bluetooth Hearing Protection Earmuffs use Bluetooth technology for audio streaming from any device connected to Bluetooth. They allow users to stream their favourite songs from their phone whilst working, and can also feature phone call capabilities. Radio Earmuffs give users the choice to listen to the radio, whilst at work.
Choosing the best Earmuffs
In finding the best Earmuffs for Hearing Protection, there are four essential criteria to consider:
- Protection: The best Earmuffs provide adequate protection from onsite noise and hearing loss.
- Comfort: The best Earmuffs not only protect the wearer from loud noise and hearing loss but should also feel comfortable. This is particularly important as Hearing Protection Earmuffs are used for extended periods and must sometimes be worn with other PPE, such Safety Glasses.
- Communication Facility: The best Earmuffs enable workers to communicate effectively whilst providing excellent protection. It is important to strike the right balance between the need to adequately protect hearing from dangerous noise while not compromising on the ability to hear and communicate.
- Style: When choosing the best Earmuffs suitable for certain tasks, the basis of selection should meet the job’s safety requirements. Options include over-the-head, hard hat-attached or Neck Band versions.
Boost Safety & Workwear’s range of Earmuffs features the best Earmuffs from top brands that tick all the right boxes. Choose from our range of safety Earmuffs, including the highest decibel reduction Earmuffs available. Be sure to check out 3M Peltor Earmuffs and uvex Earmuffs which both offer top levels of protection and comfort!
Features Commonly Found on the Best Earmuffs
- Adjustable length for a perfect fit and optimum protection
- Padded headband for optimum comfort during extended wear
- Extra soft memory foam ensures wearer comfort
- Ultra-lightweight and durable
- Acoustic engineering and wearer-focused design for superior attenuation performance
- Certified in accordance with Safety Standards
When it comes to performance and durability, it’s essential to take the age and physical condition of Earmuffs into consideration. Earmuff parts or components, such as the headband, can get worn and lose tension, impacting their ability to fit the wearer correctly and thereby affecting device performance. Physical deterioration can also lead to openings or breaches in the material and impact attenuation levels.
To ensure safety Earmuffs are performing optimally, regular inspection for wear and tear, including any changes in firmness and shape, is advised.
Capabilities & Services
At Boost Safety & Workwear, we supply Earmuffs, Hearing Protection, PPE, Workwear & Workplace Safety products to individuals and businesses of all sizes including contractors, SMEs, major companies, organisations and all levels of Government.
We can supply Earmuffs in various quantities and offer volume discounts for larger orders. We can also assist in the selection of the correct Earmuffs and Hearing Protection according to your industry and work environment. For Businesses, Organisations & Government Departments with 15 or more employees, we offer Free Trials & Samples for onsite testing prior to order placement.
On Hand to Help
If you have any questions, need a hand in selecting the right protective Earmuffs or want to find out more about our Capabilities & Services, please don’t hesitate to Contact Us and a member of our team will be glad to assist.